Dementia and Driving
- Most dementia patients continue driving for about two years.
- Many demented drivers will crash (30%-47%)
- Most demented drivers insist they are safe.
- Dementia patients can renew driver’s licenses by paying the fee at the court house.
- Dementia victims and their families are liable for damages caused by their driving.
- Dementia patients should not drive without an evaluation by a knowledgeable clinician.
- Dementia patients who cannot dress themselves should NOTdrive a car.
- Older drivers (over age 60) have more crashes than middle-aged drivers (40).